Friday 19 July 2013

Rocky Road Squares- Store Cupboard Special

This month I'm a bit lacking in funds* so I've been closely focused on making everything I do as thrifty as possible, including baking.

I'm also on a drive to sort, tidy and clear out, so this recipe seemed like a natural choice. I've made rocky road before, but this month was all about using up some of the things floating around in my 'cupboard' (as I don't have a kitchen in the renovation house, I don't actually have any cupboards, so everything lives in a bookcase, but let's not get too technical!)

This included: toffee popcorn from movie night a couple of days before (now tasting a little soft), marshmallows and some digestive biscuits which weren't as crunchy as they once had been. The beauty of rocky road is that when you bung all of this together with lots of other calorific stuff, the result is amazing and you can't taste any slight softness etc, making it the ideal way to use these things up without them going to waste.

Recipe
100g chocolate (milk or dark) to drizzle over the top
200g biscuits
100g butter
Raisins
Store cupboard lurkers- toffee popcorn, marshmallows etc

1. Put the biscuits in a bag, seal and then bash into crumbs using a rolling pin

2. Melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat and stir in the biscuits. Add the raisins, marshmallows etc and stir until thoroughly mixed

3. Pour into a tin lined with grease proof paper and press down with a potato masher


4. Leave in the fridge for an hour or so and then remove. Melt the chocolate over a simmering pan and pour over the base, return to the fridge to set for a further hour



Yum!

* PS A little clue as to why I've got got no money this month...


No comments:

Post a Comment